Monday, June 18, 2012

Wanted: Book Recs

Although I love to write contemporary romance, when I want to relax, I usually read historical. Maybe it's just different enough that I feel no obligation to analyze as I read. I can just sit back and be entertained, thank you very much. (Lazy? Moi? Perish the thought.) 

Lately I've been on a Mary Balogh kick. For some unfathomable reason I'd never read her until Eloisa James showed me an advance copy of her book "The Secret Mistress." I adore Eloisa James and really hope I can be reborn as her in a future lifetime. I figured, if Eloisa likes MB, I ought to give her a try.

Two series later, I'm in awe. First I tore through the "Slightly" series, which is all about the arrogant, wild Bedwyn family. "Slightly Sinful, Slightly Unforgettable," and so forth. There are five books in this series, and, since I do everything backwards, I just discovered the book that first introduced the family -- "A Summer to Remember." These books have intense characters, wonderful humor and delicious romance. They're sublime, from beginning to end. 

*Note: You will never find me saying a bad thing about a book. Not that all books are perfect (especially mine). But since I began writing, and know how difficult it is, I find I don't have it in me to be critical anymore. I leave the criticism to others, and I thank them for it. It needs to be done -- just not by me.

Related to the Slightly series is the Simply series, four books about the teachers at a girls school in Bath. I love that they're about women who aren't living the privileged life, but who are making their own way in a frequently treacherous world. The degree of emotion these stories inspire is amazing.

I know Mary Balogh is still writing stories linked to these series. I believe her next book is about the cousin of the heroine of "A Summer to Remember." Sometimes it's hard to keep all the relationships straight from one book to the next, but it doesn't matter unless you like keeping track of such things. So if you're looking for a wonderful author with a enormous backlist, who's still producing great books, give Mary Balogh a try.

So ... your turn. Do you have any recs for me? I'm looking for a historical series I can really lose myself in.

Thanks!

7 comments:

  1. No thoughts on a historical series - but have you read any Georgette Heyer? Continuously in print since 1921. If you haven't, try Cotillion, one of my favorites. - Heather Pouschine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I absolutely adore Georgette Heyer. I think I've read most of her books, though I may have missed a few. Cotillion is great, also Faro's Daughter and Arabella and Black Sheep and Sebastian (maybe?) ... the titles escape me, but Lordy, I love those books.

      Delete
  2. I love Mary Balogh, too. I would recommend Laura Lee Guhrke and her "The Girl-Bachelor Chronicles" as well as "The Guilty Series" & "The Abandoned at the Altar Series".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great recommendation! I've only read one LLG book, and I think it must be a Girl-Bachelor book, but I didn't realize it was part of a series. I'm so happy to hear that!

      Delete
  3. Maya Banks' "McCabe Trilogy" is a MUST READ. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll check it out! Is it a Western? I don't read a lot of Westerns but I guess I'd better change that. ;-)

      Delete
  4. I can't think of any series right now but I've read a couple historical novels recently. Wrapped by Jennifer Bradbury is set in 1815 London and features an Egyptian curse, great fun! The Detour by Andromeda Romano-Lax is more serious, but very lyrical and thoughtful.

    ReplyDelete